There a Mother Wept

weeping mother


Dear Mother of my sworn enemy,

My heart ached when I saw you weep -

At the grave of your child,

Whose voice you’ve yearned to hear;

Whose warm hugs you’ve missed.

 

You bought him a new pair of slippers,

A pair of pants for him to wear.

And those were his last requests to you.

You would have expected a smile on his face -

As he would happily put them on and say

Ka kipah e Nu

 

In you, I saw my mother.

My mother would weep too -

If her sons have suffered the same fate.

A mother’s love is all the same.

Be it Kuki or Meitei.

 

May your love for your son be a message.

A message to all those sons.

That they too have an anxious mother,

Waiting for them to come back home.

Alive, not dead like yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silenced Voice Faded Smiles

You Should Have Said

Desolate Hopes